It is so wonderful to be able to hire a professional photographer once a year to take family photos.
Chances are you have had this experience where you research and find the perfect photographer; spend weeks choosing the perfect outfit for each of your children, only to have things end up being a stressful disaster when the photo shoot day arrives!
Whether you are attempting to take photos of your children on your own or preparing for a professional photo shoot, here are a few ways to make a family photo shoot go smoothly and create incredible family photos.
Choosing the Location
Unless you are taking studio portraits, you’ll need to decide on the photo shoot location. Here are a few things to consider:
- Weather – There is nothing more beautiful than outdoor photos, but make sure to monitor the weather in case you need to reschedule an outdoor shoot due to rain.
- Lighting – Outdoor lighting is incredible if photos are taken at the right time! Make sure to schedule the shoot just before dusk for incredible golden sunlight. High noon will make for washed out photos and squinted eyes.
- Comfort Zone – Choose a place that you and your children are comfortable with or at least familiar with. Or speak with your photographer to see if he or she has suggestion for a comfortable and kid friendly photo shoot location.
Deciding on which outfit each family member should wear can be the most stressful part of preparing for a family photo shoot. But with the right planning and know how, it can be the most fun part as well!
First you should decide on a color theme, but make sure to not try to find items that are too matchy. It can look cheesy to have everyone in the same color or pattern or for too specific of a wardrobe theme. Choose a couple different complimentary colors and choose outfits in that color theme.
Although you don’t want everyone to “match” you do want the styles to be similar. For example, it looks best if everyone is dressed casually or everyone is more dressed up. Having your daughter in a frilly dress and your son in shorts and tee will look uncoordinated in the photos.
Have fun with wardrobe choices! Add accessories and you could even bring a couple changes of clothing to get a variety of different photos.
Tips for Infants
Family photo shoots with babies can be very difficult! Here are a few tips to have more success with infant photos:
- Sleep Schedule – Make sure to schedule the photo shoot right after your little one’s nap time. That way the baby is well rested and not irritable for the shoot.
- Warmth – If you have a tiny infant, try choosing a warm location. If you’re doing photos inside, turn the heat on or choose a warm day for an outside shoot. Warmth will help your tiny one stay calm and even possibly nap during the shoot.
Don’t Sweat It
The number one way to have a successful family shoot is to stay calm and not allow yourself to get stressed. If you are calm and excited and appear to be enjoying yourself, your children will be more likely to do the same.
Family photo shoots can be a fun and enjoyable experience with the right attitude and preparation. And not only can you enjoy the moment, you’ll end up with incredible photographs of your precious family. Have any of you found any tips that help make a family photo shoot successful?
More Family photo ideas: