Photo Credit: Joyful Toddlers
I fell in love with the idea of a Sweetpea Teepee many years ago, but due to a lack of space at my other house I just was never able to do one for my kids when they were little. Who knows maybe I’ll make one for me to hang out in?
A few tips and tricks for a successful teepee:
- Take the time to turn compost into the soil; don’t just push beans into your grass and expect them to do well
- Use mostly Scarlet Runner beans (you can mix in a few other types if you want, but the Scarlet Runners are the champions)
- Make sure it’s in full sun
- Put it somewhere that deer won’t come and eat all the leaves off your vines
- If you’re doing this project with toddlers, plant pretty flowers around the base along with your beans. That way they have time to learn about not pulling up the plants before the beanstalk shoots come up.
Homemade Stepping Stones - We did this when the kids were younger and made a couple extra for grandparents present which they loved!
How to make a butterfly garden. - Because everyone loves butterflies right!
Have you ever made a Sweetpea Teepee? I’d love to hear how it turned out for you.