These Bird’s Nest Coconut Cupcakes are the perfect spring time treat!
They’re a classic Easter dessert and look adorable too.
These moist chocolate cupcakes get covered in a delicious homemade icing and then topped with chocolate coconut bird’s nest, filled with blue robin eggs candies.
Starting with a boxed cake mix will make this recipe even easier.
However, if you have a homemade chocolate cake recipe that you love, use it instead!
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Most of the bird’s nest cupcakes that I have seen over the years, are made with a yellow cake recipe.
I love the combination of chocolate and coconut, so I went with a chocolate cake mix instead.
I just love how all of these flavors taste together!
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
Homemade Icing Ingredients
- Powdered Sugar
Bird’s Nest Ingredients
- Shredded Coconut
- White Melting Chips
- Blue Easter Egg Candies (like Cadbury Mini Eggs)
How to Make Easter Birds Nest Coconut Cupcakes
Step 1: Make cupcakes according to box directions and allow to cool.
Step 2: Toast coconut on cookie sheet in the oven at 275 degrees for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Melt chocolate in the microwave by heating for 30 seconds then stirring and repeating until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Step 4: Mix coconut and chocolate together until well blended.
Step 5: Spoon coconut mixture onto parchment or wax paper in heaping tablespoon sized portions. These will become the bird’s nests that will sit on top of the cupcakes.
Step 6: Let them set up for a few minutes and then use a teaspoon to make an indentation in the middle.
Step 7: Set 3 eggs in the middle of each nest before the chocolate has completely set.
You’ll want to press each of the chocolate eggs a little to get them to stick to the chocolate bird’s nests.
Step 8: Transfer nests to refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set completely.
Step 9: Mix together butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in mixing bowl until creamy.
Step 10: Slowly add milk until you’ve reached a desired consistency for your icing.
Step 11: Ice the tops of cupcakes and place a nest on the top of each cupcake.
More Easter Recipes
If you love this adorable Easter recipe, you’ll love these ones too:
- Easter Bunny Cookies – With just a few ingredients, you can make these Easter cookies that any little one will love to get their hands on.
- Birds Nest Meringues – This is a classic dessert that is a swirled meringue and topped with a buttercream frosting and candy eggs.
- Easter Blondie Bars – These bars are the perfect recipe to take to any Easter parties this year. So easy to make too!!
- Coconut Bird’s Nest Cupcakes Recipe – Here’s another great recipe idea for Easter or any Springtime gathering. Coconut Bird’s Nest Cupcakes are a classic!
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe – Enjoy individual carrot cake servings when you make these cupcakes instead of one big carrot cake.
Bird’s Nest Cupcakes
- 2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 2 cup White Melting Chips
- 72 Blue Easter Egg Candies like Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Make cupcakes according to box directions.
- Allow to cool.
- Toast coconut on cookie sheet in 275 oven for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in microwave by heating for 30 seconds then stirring and repeating until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Mix coconut and chocolate until well blended.
- Spoon coconut mixture onto parchment or wax paper in heaping tablespoon sized portions (these need to sit on top of cupcakes).
- Let them st up for a few minutes, then using a teaspoon make an indentation in the middle.
- Set 3 eggs in the middle of each nest while chocolate has not completely set.
- Transfer nests to refrigerator for 10 minutes to set completely.
- Cream butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in mixing bowl.
- Slowly add milk until desired consistency icing is reached.
- Ice the tops of cupcakes and place a nest on the top of each.
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.