There is nothing quite like a batch of fresh, warm Apple Cider Donuts on a crisp fall day.
Donuts are delicious fall treats that are perfect for breakfast or dessert. They’re also great for parties and celebrations during the fall season and these donuts are no exception.
What Makes This Recipe Great
BAKED: Although this apple cider donut recipe is coated in butter and sugar, it is NOT fried. So that must make it a little healthier, right?
APPLE FLAVOR: The reduced apple cider that is used in this homemade donut recipe is what gives these donuts that apple cider flavor you love.
CINNAMON SUGAR: Classic cider mill donuts are always coated in just the perfect amount of cinnamon sugar goodness and these donuts are no exception.
- Apple Cider– You can use cider that you get from your local apple orchard or your local grocery store.
- Cinnamon– While you could just use sugar to coat these donuts, adding cinnamon gives them that fall taste.
- Make sure you have a good donut pan to use for this recipe, so you can skip needing a donut cutter and having a bunch of extra doughnut holes.
- Make sure set the warm donuts on a cooling rack to give the melted butter and cinnamon sugar coating a few minutes to cool before eating, because that is the best allow the cinnamon sugar coating to set up really well first.
- Store your fresh homemade donuts in an airtight container so they stay fresh longer.
- You could use apple juice if you do not have any reduced cider to use, but you’ll get the best results with these easy baked apple cider donuts when you use apple cider.
How to reduce apple cider:
Pour 1½ cups apple cider into a saucepan and place on low heat.
Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Continue stirring until the liquid is at ½ cup of cider reduction. This will take a total of approximately 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding to the batter.
Step 1: Mix together your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Mix wet ingredients together with the flour mixture in a medium bowl, and then combine altogether in the large bowl.
Step 3 & 4: Pour apple cider doughnuts mixture into a donut pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake in a preheated oven for ten minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Step 5 & 6: Dip apple donut into melted butter and then coat the donuts with the cinnamon sugar mixture from a separate small bowl. Set homemade donuts on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before eating.
Enjoy these homemade delicious donuts with fresh apple cider or a hot cup of coffee.
More Recipes to Love
If you are looking for the perfect treat to enjoy on a fall day, try one of the super easy pastries and donut recipes below.
- Caramel Apple Donuts: The beauty of these delicious treats is the fact that they are baked and not fried and have a sweet caramel topping.
- Pumpkin Cake Donuts: This is a traditional cake donut with a pumpkin twist.
- Apple Hand Pies: Just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes are all it takes to make these decadent warm spiced Air Fryer apple pies.
Apple Cider Donuts
- 1 ½ cups apple cider
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Crunchy Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a donut pan with nonstick spray
- Melt butter and allow to cool slightly
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with a whisk. Then add milk, melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and whisk until fully combined and smooth. Next add reduced apple cider whisk again.
- Combine the wet cider mixture into the dry mixture and whisk all ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared donut pan; fill each well about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the pan and allow to continue to cool.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Melt butter in a shallow bowl. Once melted, whisk and combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip the donuts into the butter, sugar mixture. You may also use your fingers to coat it if you want a thicker coating. Repeat with remaining donuts
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.