This Walking Taco Casserole bake is a delicious seasoned ground beef and bean casserole that is topped with Frito corn chips, green onions, and can’t forget the shredded cheese.
This is similar to a Frito pie, that is loaded with all your favorite walking taco flavors.
Best part of all this is so easy to throw together and get in the oven baking. Once the cheese is nice and melted serve and enjoy.
For more easy dinner ideas try this chicken and broccoli casserole, or try these mini meatloaf cupcakes, or these White Castle sliders.
This Walking Taco Bake Recipe Is…
- Family Friendly
- Made with Ground Beef
- Family Friendly Dinner
- Great Game Day Food
- ground beef
- taco seasoning mix
- enchilada sauce
- pinto beans
- Fritos corn chips
- shredded cheese
- green onion
- Optional Garnish: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole
How to Make Walking Taco Bake
Full directions on how to make walking taco bake is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is just a quick walk through.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and then grease your baking dish as directed.
Step 2: Next you will add onions and ground beef in a skillet and cook until the meat is browned.
Step 3: Once the meat is done, drain off the excess fat, and add in water and taco seasoning.
Mix until the seasoning has simmered for a few minutes.
Step 4: Add in the sauce and beans in the skillet. Mix to combine.
Step 5: Then you will add your Fritos in the bottom of the pan, and add in the cheese.
Top with meat then another layer of cheese.
Step 6: Bake as directed and then top with the remaining Fritos.
Then you can top with tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
Refrigerate any leftovers you have, store for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Just reheat the Frito bake in the microwave.
Or you can place some in a pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or so or until it is heated all the way through.
Variations And Tips
- Use ground turkey or ground chicken in replace of ground beef
- Swap packet seasoning out with homemade taco seasoning
- Use kidney beans or chili beans in replace of pinto beans
- Swap Frito chips out with Doritos chips
- Swap enchilada sauce out with Rotel
Yes you sure can. You will find it can brown up the Fritos a bit and will be delicious. Now the Fritos on the bottom can become soggy but will add flavor to the bake.
The midwest and southern states enjoy this Frito pie. It is a delicious dish that is bursting with flavor in each bite. You will have to try it out if you have not had a Frito pie.
Walking tacos or Frito tacos are a single serve bag of Frito chips that then has a seasoned beef and bean mixture piled in along with toppings. Then you can walk around holding your bag with all the fixings and eat.
More Casserole Recipes
If you liked this casserole recipe, you’ll love these ones too:
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole – It can easily be made ahead of time and put into the oven when you are ready to cook it for dinner.
- Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe – Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic old fashioned recipe that you can cook in just a few minutes using your pressure cooker.
- Chicken Broccoli Instant Pot Casserole Recipe – This chicken broccoli rice dish is so easy to make, hearty, and loads of comfort in every single bite.
- Green Bean Casserole From Scratch Recipe – Here you have fresh mushrooms, crisp green beans, a homemade cream base, that comes together and gets topped with savory fried onions.
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe – A few years ago I began testing out some sweet potato casserole recipes in search of the BEST Sweet Potato Casserole recipe ever and this year I have found it!
- Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe – I’ve been making this very easy Breakfast Casserole recipe for the last few years for my family, and it has been a huge hit!
Walking Taco Casserole
- 9×13 pan
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can 15 oz. enchilada sauce
- 1 can 15 oz pinto beans, drain and rinse
- 1 bag 9.25 ounce Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 green onion chopped
- Optional Garnish: lettuce tomato, sour cream, guacamole
- Prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish by spraying it with oil or a non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef and onions. Cook over medium heat stirring often until meat is brown and onions have softened.
- Once meat and onions are fully browned, drain off excess fat. Add in water and taco seasoning, stir and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the enchilada sauce and beans to the skillet and stir to fully combine.
- Sprinkle about 4 cups of Fritos onto the bottom of your baking dish, then top the Fritos with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Spread the meat mixture on top of that for the next layer then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You’re your casserole is out of the oven, top with the remaining Fritos.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with optional topping such as lettuce, tomato, green onions, sour cream, or guacamole.
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
Leave a Reply