Making your own DIY Natural Air Freshener is so easy to do that you’ll never want to go back to store bought ones again!
Plus this recipe also doubles as an all natural carpet freshener powder too!
I am all about saving money, but not at the expense of my health.
Ever since I went through some really tough health stuff a few years back, I have been on a quest to do all that I can to make sure I never hear a doctor say I have cancer again.
Research shows that the chemicals used in store bought air fresheners have some terrible side effects on the human body.
Here is a list of just a few of the medical problems linked to “fragrance” that you should be aware of.
- ALLERGIES. Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes.
- ASTHMA. Fragrance is suspected to contribute to asthma development in children.
- CANCER. Yeah, because many of these chemicals are known human carcinogens, according to the FDA.
- CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS These include autoimmune disorders, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, and more.
- DERMATITIS. Red, scaly, dry patches on the skin, either from ingesting problem foods or from putting products with fragrance on your skin in the form of lotions or makeup.
- DEPRESSION. In people who are highly sensitive, these scents can affect brain chemistry and even lead to people being more prone to panic attacks.
- DIZZINESS & NAUSEA. These symptoms happen when your central nervous system is impacted by these toxins.
- HEADACHES & MIGRAINES. Whew! That guy that walked by you that took a bath in cologne (we all know that guy)? He could just have been responsible for your migraine later that day.
- UPPER RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS. Even failure can happen at high exposures. Aka DEATH.
I used to have headaches…migraines…almost every single day when I was in my twenties and early thirties. I just thought is was a normal part of life for me and I got used to having them.
A few years ago I decided to get serious about getting some of the most dangerous chemical ingredients A.K.A “Fragrances” out of my home, one product at a time.
Do you know what happened?
I stopped getting headaches!
I’m hardly ever sick and the allergies I used to have all the time are a distant memory. My only regret is not learning this information sooner so I could feel better sooner.
I love being able to make my own air fresheners because I can customize the smell by adding whichever essential oils I want on that day.
Sometimes I am looking for a nice clean smell so I will choose one of my citrus oils. If I am using this in the kitchen area, I usually choose Citrus Fresh, one of my favorites from the oils kit I got a few years ago!
Lavender oil is great if you want a more floral smell.
The Eucalyptus oils do a great job of freshening up the air, making it the perfect choice for a natural home air freshener that can be placed anywhere you need it!
Homemade Air Freshener
What you need to make your own air freshener
Skip the gel air fresheners and the awful side effects, next time you want your home smelling fresh, and try this diy air freshener recipe instead.
How to Make Homemade Air Freshener
Like I mentioned earlier, you’ll be so surprised by just how easy it really is to just make up your own.
I love being able to control how strong the smell is, just by adding a couple extra drops of essential oil if I want it to be a stronger, longer lasting room refreshener.
Step 1: Fill mason jar 2/3 of the way full of baking soda.
Step 2: Add a few drops of essential oil and set aside.
Step 3: Trace the jar lid on the cardstock and cut it out.
Step 4: Fit it in the inner ring then attach lid to the jar.
Step 5: Using a thumb tack or nail punch many holes in the cardstock.
Step 6: Covering the lid with your hand, shake well to mix oils.
Step 7: Now it’s ready to use. Just place the jar wherever you want to use it to refreshen the room.
Sprinkle onto carpet and allow to site for a few minutes and then vacuum as usual to freshen carpet.
This is the perfect size and recipe for to make air freshener for your car. It can be placed right into a cup holder, making it the best car air freshener!
I think Lemongrass is THE BEST essential oil to use for a homemade car air freshener, but you can use any scent you like.
More Natural Air Freshener Ideas
Don’t just stop with air fresheners or room sprays, you will be surprised by how bad the ingredients are in just about all of your cleaning products too!
You can read more about why it is so important to get rid of as many products as you can that have these awful ingredients.
I know this can be overwhelming if you are just starting to look into these ingredients.
I remember exactly how it felt when I first learned the truth about how the products I was buying t the store were actually harming my body, causing the perfect environment for sickness to thrive.
That is why I love recipes like this!
I can slowly get rid of one thing at a time, swapping the junky ingredients for natural ingredients and plant based essential oils that are 100% real, that our bodies know what to do with, that aren’t contributing to our toxic load.
That actually help our bodies stay well and healthy!