This Slowcooker Breakfast Casserole is a protein-packed casserole that will get your morning started in a great way.
Hashbrowns, eggs, crumbled sausage, cheese, and more all in one easy slow cooker breakfast recipe.
Cook this slow cooker breakfast casserole overnight, and wake up Christmas morning to breakfast ready.
I love overnight slow cooker recipes, especially around the holidays.
Just toss it in before bed, turn it on low, head to bed and wake to your home smelling delicious and breakfast awaiting you.
Or for a sweet start to your morning try my slowcooker French toast.
Reasons You Will Love This Recipe
- This is a slow cooker recipe, so it provides that hands-off cooking approach.
- Prepare the night before and let the slow cooker do its magic through the night and wake up to a breakfast ready for young and old to devour.
- You get to control the ingredients used to create the perfect breakfast recipe.
- I love the make-ahead aspect of this slow-cooker breakfast recipe. It makes it so easy and perfect for Christmas morning when you want to watch your family unwrap presents, but you still want a hearty breakfast.
- This recipe makes quite a bit, so you have a larger amount to serve a bigger family if needed.
Ingredients You Will Need
Eggs – The base of this casserole is the eggs. Rich in flavor, protein-packed, and helps stretch the dish quite a ways.
Milk – Whole milk will offer the richest flavor but you can always use a different percentage.
Hashbrowns – Reach for frozen hashbrowns. It is easy for the prep and they hold up really well in the slow cooker.
Onion and Pepper – Adding a bell pepper and onion to the recipe is truly going to enhance the flavors tremendously.
Sausage – Any breakfast sausage you like will work. Just make sure to fully cook and crumble the meat before adding to the crock.
Cheese – I used pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese. The duo worked so well at providing incredible flavor.
Seasonings – Salt and pepper were used to flavor to taste. The sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese are the true flavor changers in this recipe.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole in the Slowcooker
Full directions on how to make this Breakfast Casserole in the slowcooker are in the printable recipe card below.
This is a quick walkthrough of how it is made.
Step 1: Grease your slow cooker and then set it to the side.
Step 2: In a small bowl, add your shredded cheese and then mix well. Set to the side.
Step 3: Now you will cook the sausage and then add peppers and onions and let them saute as well.
Drain off grease once the meat is fully cooked.
Step 4: Add a layer of potatoes to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Add some sausage, then add 1 cup of cheese.
Repeat the layers two more times, and end with the cheese.
Step 5: Whisk up your eggs and milk.
Pour the mixture over the top of the casserole.
Step 6: Place the lid on the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8 hours or until cooked fully.
Consider pairing it with some fresh fruit, toast, yogurt, or pastries of choice. This casserole can be a meal in one, but feel free to add other items to the side.
This recipe can be doubled but the one thing is to make sure you have room in the slow cooker. Some slow cookers if smaller might not hold the increased volume, so look for a max-level fill line.
Freshly grated cheese is key, as pre-shredded cheese in a bag has oil and extra starch added. So grating fresh cheese works best. In terms of flavor, you can use any flavor of cheese for this recipe.
Tips and Variations to Recipe
- Ensure you grease or line your slow cooker, or the casserole can stick.
- Low is key for cooking the breakfast casserole. If you cook on high it will overcook, burn, and dry out by morning.
- You can even make this for dinner if you want. Just throw it together in the morning and come home to it ready for dinner.
- For added spice add in some jalapeno that is diced up. Or add a splash of hot sauce to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Swap the sausage with diced bacon, ham, or other meat of choice. The key is the meat is fully cooked and in bite-size pieces.
- You could even do a mix of meat if you want. Ham, bacon, and sausage would be a great blend of flavor.
- Do just egg whites in replace of whole eggs for a bit of a healthier alternative.
- Season with other spices for added flavor. Garlic powder, onion powder, creole, etc.
- Go meatless if you want. Just leave the meat out of the mixture.
- Change up the types of cheese you add to the mixture. Or do one single type of cheese instead of two kinds.
If you do not eat all this sausage hashbrown casserole simply transfer to an airtight container. Then refrigerate for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or cover with foil and heat up in the oven. Don’t overheat the mixture as it can dry out a bit as it is warming up.
Or if you want freeze some of the casserole for later. Simply place the casserole in a proper freezer container and it will store for 4-5 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Breakfast Recipes
If you liked this breakfast recipe, you’ll love these ones too:
- Egg Muffins – All you need are a few ingredients and you’ll be enjoying warm, homemade egg muffins straight from the oven. Top with a little bit of sour cream or salsa, and you’re about to treat your taste buds with ease.
- Bacon and Spinach Egg Casserole – There’s nothing quite like a delicious homemade casserole to fill your tummy full of good energy and great ingredients!
- Classic Egg in a Basket – Every single bit of this simple breakfast dish and delicious and so simple to create!
- Easy Christmas Breakfast Casserole – I always made this very easy Breakfast Casserole recipe for my family, and it was always a huge hit!
- Omelet Bites – These Omelet Breakfast Bites are so easy to make ahead and have on hand for a quick individual breakfast.
Slowcooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds hash brown potatoes
- 1 pound breakfast sausage cooked
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup red and green bell peppers chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray the inside of the 8 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the two shredded cheeses together in a small bowl and set aside. Mix the cooked sausage and peppers and onions together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs together in a medium sized bowl until well mixed. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Layer around 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle 1/3 of the sausage mixture all around. Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese mixture on top. Repeat 2 more times. End with the cheese layer.
- Once all the layers have been made, pour the egg mixture all over top. Cook on low for 8 hours. (You can do this overnight) Serve and enjoy!
You can use frozen peppers and onions!
You can add cooked bacon to this!
You can cook this on high for 4-5 hours.
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.