This Homemade Pancake Mix is a pantry staple everyone needs to make the most fluffy and melt in your mouth delicious old fashioned pancakes.
Learn how to make pancakes from scratch with just a few simple ingredients you might have on hand already in your kitchen.
No more boxed pancake mix when you have this simple recipe with big flavor.
You can prep the pancake mix ahead of time and store in a sealed jar or airtight container and then just measure and mix when you want.
It makes for a quick throw together breakfast for your Sunday mornings.
This Pancake Recipe Is..
- Needs just 5 ingredients
- Pantry staple ingredients
- Quick prep
- Stores in an airtight container in the cupboard (just add milk and egg)
- Fluffy pancakes
One thing that is a staple in my house is pancake mix.
It seems like we have pancakes almost weekly and sometimes even more often in the colder months.
Learning to make my own mix has been a lifesaver. You can easily make up a batch and store it in an airtight container using just a few simple ingredients.
Of course this is one of those things that will save you lots of money by making your own at home.
Pancake Mix Ingredients
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
Flour – All purpose flour is what I used for this pancake mix. Just measure and level off each cup.
Sugar – Granulated sugar will add the right amount of sweetness to these light pancakes.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda – These two ingredients help create that light and fluffy texture to the pancakes.
Salt – Table salt works great.
Milk and Egg – So once you have the dry and you are ready to whip up the mixture add milk and egg to the dry ingredients.
How to Make Pancake Mix
The full measurements for the ingredients are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
This is a visual walk through on how to make these cookies.
Step 1: To make the mix you have to add all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix well.
Step 2: Pour into a sealed bag, glass mason jar or other airtight container.
Making Pancakes With Dry Mix
Add 1 cup of milk and 1 egg to 1 cup of dry pancake mix. Mix well.
You can also add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the rest of the wet ingredients.
Pour some batter onto a hot skillet or griddle that has already been coated with oil. And cook your pancakes on medium heat till they are fully done.
Tips For Making Pancakes
- A whisk works great for whipping up the batter. It helps remove the larger lumps.
- Make sure you start with a hot griddle or non-stick pan.
- Spraying with a cooking spray can help prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Once the bubbles begin to pop on the pancake batter you can flip it over and cook the other side of the pancake.
Topping Ideas For Pancakes
Here are some different ways to dress up your pancakes.
From quick and easy to a more dressed up style pancake.
- Pecan Caramel Syrup
- Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Flavored Syrups – Strawberry, blueberry, etc.
- Whipped Cream
- Melted Butter
Can You Mix In Ingredients to Pancake Batter
Of course you can treat this pancake mix like any other pancake batter. You can do simple like mini chocolate chips to fresh or frozen blueberries.
I prefer to not add in the mix-in ingredients until I make the batter. If it is something like chocolate chips where it will hold up when stored then you can add to the dry mixture.
Storing Pancake Mix
Store in a sealed container or sealed bag. You can store the pancake mix for up to 6 months if stored in a sealed container. Then just measure out the mixture and make batches of pancakes as you wish.
Just remember to add the egg and milk right before mixing up. If you find the mix is too thick add a bit more milk. Or if the batter is too thin simply add more flour mixture, to create the proper consistency.
If you find you have made more pancakes than you can eat, you can store them in the freezer.
To freeze cooked pancakes: Allow the pancakes to cool entirely, then place them in a single layer on a baking sheet (ensuring that the sides aren’t touching). Rapid-freeze for several hours or even overnight.
To freeze pancake mix: Spoon the pancake mix into serving size amounts into freezer bags. Freeze flat for around one month. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
More Homemade Mixes
If you like this homemade recipe, you’ll love these ones too:
- Homemade Bisquick Recipe – It’s so easy to make your own Homemade Bisquick baking mix, using common items that are found in the pantry.
- Pecan Caramel Syrup Recipe – Just 3 ingredients is all it takes to make this delicious caramel syrup that tastes so good!
- Old Fashioned Basic Muffin Recipe – Create the perfect basic muffin recipe that you can use to prep homemade muffin mixes for your pantry or to gift. Then mix in additional ingredients to transform the muffin into a whole new flavor.
Homemade Pancake Mix
- 6 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- Combine ingredients and mix well.
- Store in airtight container.
- To use, combine 1 cup mix with 1 cup milk and 1 egg
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.