You will love this edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe.
Get all the flavors of your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough without the worry of eating raw cookie dough that has unsafe ingredients to eat raw.
You will treat the flour to make it completely safe to eat.
Indulge in this edible cookie dough and enjoy the sweet chips, rich sugary base and dive in! Also, try out my funfetti cookie dough bites!
This Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe Is..
- Safe to eat raw
- Heat treated flour so it is safe to eat
- Studded with sweet chocolate chip morsels
- Easy and delicious dessert for snacking
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
Full directions on how to make edible cookie dough are in the printable recipe card below.
This is a quick walkthrough of how it is made.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F.
Step 2: Spread the flour out evenly on a small baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes until the flour reaches 160 degrees (do not allow the flour to get brown).
Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Add the milk, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
Step 5: Add in the flour and mix just until the ingredients are all combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 6: Serve immediately.
Heating flour is an essential step in making safe-to-eat edible cookie dough. Flour, like many other raw ingredients, can potentially contain harmful bacteria, such as E. coli and Salmonella, which can cause food poisoning. Heat-treating flour kills any bacteria that may be present and makes the flour safe to eat.
Unfortunately you will find these will not bake into normal cookies. It is lacking the leavening agent so this is just for eaten in raw or uncooked form.
Firstly, edible cookie dough contains high amounts of sugar and calories, which can contribute to weight gain if consumed in excess. Like in all things eat in moderation.
Variations To Recipe
- You can use any type of chocolate chip or chocolate chunks you want for the cookie dough.
- Add in mix-in items like sprinkles, crushed cookies, chopped candy bars, etc.
- Any plant-based milk works if you don’t want to use regular milk, and can use a vegan chocolate to make dairy free.
Storing Leftover Dough
Refrigerate your cookie dough in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
You can make into bite-size balls, or just leave them in the container and scoop them as you want to eat them.
Now you can also freeze your chocolate chip cookie dough.
I do recommend freezing into balls or bite-size pieces.
Place on a lined baking sheet and flash freeze for 1 hour.
Then transfer to a freezer container and freeze for 3-5 months. Then thaw in the fridge when you are ready to eat.
More Homemade Cookie Dough Recipes
If you liked this cookie dough recipe, you’ll love these ones too:
- Cast Iron Skillet Cookie – This Cast Iron Skillet Cookie Recipe is the perfect dessert recipe for camping!
- Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookies – Whip up a batch of my popular, tried, and true ultimate peanut butter cookie recipe!
- Coffee Cookies – Soft, chewy, delicious coffee cookies are the perfect dessert for coffee fanatics.
- Monster Cookies – These smiley face cookies are sure to leave a smile on anyone’s face.
- Copycat Tagalongs – These are copycat Girl Scout Cookies!
- Pokemon Cookies – Everyone will love these Pokemon Go cookies
Edible Cookie Dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread the flour out evenly on a small baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 4-5 minutes until the flour reaches 160F (do not allow the flour to get brown). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
- Add in the flour and mix just until the ingredients are all combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
Karalena Pittenger says
DO NOT microwave the flour for the recommended 2 minutes! While cookie dough sounds like a great midnight snack while studying for high school finals, setting off the smoke alarm at 11:30 p.m. doesn’t sit too well with tired parents 🙁
Can you bake these cookies or are they just for the dough? And if so, how long and at what temperature?
Kristie Sawicki says
These are just to be eaten as dough, not baked.
Kristie Sawicki says
I am not sure, but I bet you could stick it in the oven to heat it.
Thank you for your wonderful blog! And thank you for this recipe. Is there any way to make this without heating the flour in the microwave. I don’t have a microwave. Would the recipe work without heating the flour or could I just heat it in the oven or something? Thank you so much!