You can read one bloggers first hand account of the tornado as she watched it from her yard!
I found myself sitting here in Michigan feeling kind of helpless. But the truth is that there are so many things we can do to help no matter where we are or how much we may have to share.
First and foremost we can and should be praying for all those in the Oklahoma area that was hit, as well as the surrounding areas. A disaster of such proportions touches everyone even if not directly, and this is a chance for us to strengthen and lift up our brothers and sisters in Oklahoma.
I know it may not feel like much, but trust me when I say this is THE best thing we can do for them before we ever even send a dime.
Of course I am not suggesting they don’t need financial help as well, and there are plenty of ways that you can help in that way too.
Things they need:
- Soap laundry detergent
- New towels and wash clothes
- Toiletries – Shampoo, conditioner, razors etc.
- Baby items – Diapers, wipes, etc.
- New pillows
- Sheets and blankets
- CLEANING SUPPLIES!!!
Find out how to make Hygiene Kits using things you already have on hand.
They will not be needing home items at this time.
More resources to help:
- Red Cross – Register and find friends and family
- Oklahoma Fans Facebook Page
- Salvation Army
- Disaster Relief of Oklahoma
- U-Haul offering 30 Days Free Storage to OK victims
- Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma or text FOOD to 32333.
- Central Oklahoma Humane Society - You can donate to help those animals who were directly impacted by the tornado that ripped through Moore, Oklahoma.
- The Salvation Army care for disaster survivors and first responders. - Text STORM to 80888 to donate $10 to the recovery and relief efforts.
A couple other things to consider…
- In an emergency you want to text, not call because it uses less tower frequency and leaves the lines open for emergency personnel.
- Also, if you want to donate to aid agencies, go online… don’t text – online donations get there faster, text donations have to be billed through the cell phone companies and take longer to get there.
Do you have any other ideas that you think I should add to this post? Please share them in the comments section for everyone to see.
Thanks to My Litter.